Saturday, January 28, 2017

My Buffalo gals, the Millers amazing woodwork accessories and Jackie's Ode...

I began this post after I finished my pre-stitching, before I actually attended Jackie Du Plessis's 'Ode' finishing class, in Buffalo, NY last October of 2016. My Ode is to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of JA's death this year, 1817-2017. Ode is a 'miniature writing desk' box (made by Miller Carpentry Creations) filled with hand embroidered finished smalls pictured below. Note, all the design's shown in this post are copyrighted. Any questions or interest in a project should conclude by contact with the accredited teacher, to determine the 'where and what', of her teaching schedule...Some classes may no longer be available but these talented ladies will be very obliging...



Ode is opened with a fob. I modified Jackie's key design to duplicate the key to St. Nicholas church. The box floor is a miniature sampler, mostly over one thread, no not JA's sampler...but similar in style to English band samplers.







A fabric band of linen edged with Hedebo scallops holds tiny bottles, who in turn hold tiny mother-of-pearl finishing buttons. Mine has included an ink bottle from the Winchester Cathedral gift shop, along with it's matching JA inspired pen and pencil. Note the plaque on the lid in the picture above. It is inscribed with a JA quote from one of her prayers, along with a thread spool holder, housewife, pin keep, sweet bag and needlebook to store inside the box. I tucked in other treasures such as a deck of JA playing cards. It's a very tight fit!....Very fun!!.. I also changed Jackie's housewife a bit with the addition of my dedication and 'signature' below the alphabets depicted in the top most picture...I hope both Jackie and JA approve...

Jackie's class has prompted the following discussion on finishing....Finishing can take on quite a few different meanings to different groups of embroiderer's. To someone such as myself, I enjoy historically inspired embroidered items. After I complete a reproduction sampler, I do not commission a framer. I finish my edges in hemstitching (like early 16-17th century samplers) mount it on a linen covered foam core board and stick it in a frame, myself...The example below is a reproduction sampler from The Scarlet Letter. Note the neatly finished edges around the perimeter, also the background filling stem stitch of the center 'boxer' band. In addition the bands of queen stitch, montenegrin, rice, bullion and satin filling stitches all added to the interest of this sampler originally completed by Rachel Jarrett at the age of eleven. What is even more interesting is that she completed it in 1768, and the band designs were actually popular motifs a century earlier. Rachel's sampler is actually a reproduction sampler in it's own right! I pace myself by working each band over a month or two period. Too long at work on 36 and finer linen causes eye strain. The magnification and lighting investments of some embroiderer's is beyond the scope of this blog...ha ha...





Next, I want to discuss a few of my favorite teachers and finishing classes. Realize, before I consider investing in a class, it needs to be worth my time, money and foremost intellectually stimulating. An example is an Elizabethan sampler class of Nan Tyson Euler. Arbella is a fictitious sampler inspired by the Jane Bostocke sampler (the oldest known 'signed' sampler to date 1598, V & A). Arbella has interesting stitching techniques with Holbein and goldwork but what was worth the two day drive and hotel stay???.... I learned, along with a discussion on ciphers, a tack/lock stitch which anchors the thread used in tiny singular stitch/knot's. I have experience with this stitch in crewelwork but the concept of a different use was eye opening...That tack/lock stitch is invaluable for reversible embroidery work!

Let me describe other classes with wonderful teachers I have taken over the years. More than a decade ago I finished Merry Cox's 'French Bonbon Box', pictured below. This was my first experience with French seams and techniques which employed both linen and card stock in finishing this silk drawstring bag.



Next, Betsy Morgan and her wonderful twisted cord and tassel finishing classes. My 'Four Season's Pin Cube' and 'Edinburgh Sweet Bag' are below. I also attended Betsy's 'Toy Chest Etui' class in 2010, (poop, that's a long time ago). An embroidered etui chest inspired by Pennsylvania Dutch painted motif''s, the sub-title is, 'A big girl's box of toys', and it flipping is.... I have to finish this while I'm still in PA....



Then...Sherri Jones, from my home state of Michigan and her skillfully designed classes, with more of a Victorian flare. Below is the 'Ring of Roses', a bag constructed of rings covered with a silk thread Hedebo technique. Also, pictured below, a Tulip Tray, Hare Box, and Blue Ribbon Sewing Box (woodwork by Miller Carpentry Creations). All are great finishing classes, in techniques I can utilize for my caskets. Sherri also has a 'Button Lover's Brag Book', which became an Ebay crazed pastime for me, I may post that too, once finish!






Barbara Jackson, who has graciously passed on techniques in Crewel embroidery obtained from the Royal School of Needlework in preparation/mounting of embroidery work, combining wool and silks and over all very traditional and professionally appealing designs. Crewel work and punched needle will be my techniques of choice as my eyes age....



Catherine Theron offered a 'huswife/wallet' finishing class with a very traditional Irish stitch design I completed this for my son's High School graduation. Yes real men do sew...!!...

        


Marcia Brown Smith has written finishing techniques for Dr. Tricia Wilson Nguyen's projects over the years but has had great examples of box finishing of her own right. Two of her classes are shown below...



CA Wells taught the first finishing class I ever attended the Acorn Etui. Also pictured below, a Sampler Storage Roll and Sailor's Valentine (JA casket motif???). CA's classes are very entertaining.. She will usually keep you interested by story telling or twisting cord, by hand... I was completely engrossed and deeply concerned to keep up in class, but somehow, tangled my threads on my cardigan buttons and fell behind.. I made a complete mess and distinctly remember the day because of it....



Catherine Jordan, who along with her dyeing and fiber classes has fearlessly crossed the creativity line by combining paint in her embroidery projects. I have two embroidered maps and accessories which utilize this technique. Rae Iverson is a master in etui designs...as I finish her kit's I will post. I have a set of Williamsburg etui's of 'The Needlework shop' and 'Bruton Parish' I am determined to complete before the Williamsburg AGM in 2019...and a Shaker box with a matching herb garden housewife...all so wonderful...add to the masterful written kit texts, quality materials and Rae's accompanying well informed historically inspired lectures they are the icing on the cake!!

Enough contained in this post, which has inspired me to return stitching...

No comments:

Post a Comment